Snacking on a Keto Diet
A big influence on diet success is snacking; therefore it’s important to make sure your grabbing the rights things that support your keto diet.
Snacking can be beneficial when done right. The benefits of having snacks are:
- They can help sustain you until your next meal.
- They can help stop you cheating on your diet.
- They increase energy levels.
- They can help you ensure you getting enough fats and protein.
It’s important that when choosing your snacks that you avoid anything that is carb based. You snacks should consist of mostly fats and protein. To avoid fall for carb filled snacks its best that you prepare your own snacks in advance and make an effort to avoid overly processed and convenient types foods.
Below are twenty great snacks you can have whilst on a keto diet.
- Eggs (hard boiled, scrambled, omelettes, quiches)
- Nut butter.
- Coconut yoghurt.
- CHEESE! Lots of cheese. Make sure its full fat.
- Beef jerky.
- Cacao nibs.
- Avocado or guacamole.
- Cherry tomatoes.
- Pork rinds.
- Sugar free jelly.
- Coffee or tea (without milk or sugar, can use stevia)
- Vegan protein powder.
- Dark chocolate or stevia sweetened chocolate.
- Celery and cream cheese.
- Kale chips.
- Veggie sticks.
- Cold cuts of meat (ham, turkey breast, salami)
If you feeling more creative or in the mood to cook try these three keto recipes below.
Keto Peanut Butter Protein Balls
- ¾ cups of vanilla protein powder
- ½ cup almond meal
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. nut butter of your choice
- 1 tsp. of sweetener of your choice
- 2 tbsp. cacao powder
- Cacao nibs
- Combine protein powder, almond meal, sweetener and cacao powder (and Cacao nibs).
- Melt coconut oil and nut butter in microwave and mix well.
- Mix the coconut oil and nut butter mixture with the dry ingredients. (Add 1 tbsp. of water if needed for consistency).
- Divide and roll mixture into approx. 12 balls.
- Refrigerate for an hour. Can be kept in fried for up to 5 days.
Keto Bacon and Cheddar Egg Muffins
- 12 large eggs
- 2 tbsp. chopped onion
- ¼ cup cooked bacon chopped
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar
- Preheat oven 180oC. Spray muffin tin with non-stick oil.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and onion together. Adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour mixture evenly into each muffin cup.
- Add the bacon and cheddar into each muffin cup.
- Bake for 20 minutes and serve. Egg muffins can be stored in the fridge for up to four days.
Keto Parmesan Cheese Crisps
- 1 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. dried basil or preferred spice
- Preheat oven to 180oC. Line baking tray with baking paper.
- Place tablespoons of Parmesan cheese in small piles on the baking tray. Gently flatten the piles and sprinkle the dried basil over the cheese.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.