- REMOVE TEMPTATIONS.
One of the easiest keto diet tips to implement is to get rid of foods you need to avoid. It’s much easier to stick to your goals if you’re not constantly fighting temptation. Get rid of the following in your fridge and pantry:
- Grains including wheat, bread, pasta, rice, oats, cereal, corn, etc.
- Sugar including table sugar, candy, pastries, cakes, ice cream, chocolate, etc.
- Starchy vegetables including potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, etc.
- Legumes including beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc.
- High-sugar fruits including bananas, pineapple, oranges, apples, grapes, etc.
- Low-fat dairy & milk, low-fat cheese, etc.
- Processed “low carb” foods depending on ingredients.
- START SIMPLE.
The best way to start keto for beginners is to use a simple framework for your meals:
Pick a protein – Chicken, beef, pork, turkey, fish, seafood, protein powder, eggs, etc.
Pick a (low carb) veggie –Broccoli, zucchini, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, cucumbers, etc.
Don’t forget to add fat. Butter, oil, cheese, bacon, avocado, mayonnaise, nuts, etc.
Along with getting rid of all the good stuff, fill your fridge with plenty of good stuff:
- Healthy fats like avocado oil, butter and coconut oil
- Leafy greens like lettuce, spinach and kale
- Low carb vegetables that grow above ground, like zucchini, cauliflower and asparagus
- Meat like lamb, beef and pork
- Poultry like chicken and turkey
- Seafood like fish and shellfish
- Full-fat dairy like cheese and heavy cream
- Low carb fruit like avocados, raspberries and coconuts
Pantry ingredients are most prone to be high in carbs, but here are the types of items you’ll want to KEEP:
- Herbs & spices like basil, dill and cinnamon
- Low carb condiments like mayo, hot sauce and mustard
- Nuts & seeds like almonds, macadamia nuts and sunflower seeds
- Sugar-free sweeteners like erythritol, monk fruit and allulose
- Low carb flours like almond flour, coconut flour and flax seed meal
- Sugar-free beverages like water, coffee and tea
If you are out and about or need to quickly get back into ketotis make sure to grab some KETO ON
- PORTIONS CONTROL
Even though calories and portions are not the primary focus of a ketogenic lifestyle, they still matter.
It’s still possible not to lose weight, or even gain weight, on keto if you consume too much – this would be the case with any diet. Just remember fat has a lot of calories
Fortunately, ketosis inherently reduces hunger and cravings, so you tend to eat less anyway. Many people find that eating low carb foods keeps their portions under control naturally, but if that doesn’t happen for you, you may need to pay attention to them.